- This site indicates 24-hour HAZWOPER training is required. (http://pollution-control.suite101.com/article.cfm/training_for_oil_spill_volunteers)
- This site indicates the 40-hour HAZWOPER training might be required depending on the cleanup activities. (http://www.safetyunlimited.com/oil-spill-cleanup-training-program.asp)
- There is reduced “First Responder Operations Training” but it does not allow contact with oil.
Below is some pricing for online training (Surfrider doesn’t endorse this company but it looks pretty good):
- http://www.safetyunlimited.com/online-courses/OSHA-HAZWOPER-First-Responder-Operations-FRO.asp ($80)
- http://www.safetyunlimited.com/online-courses/40-Hour-HAZWOPER-Online.asp ($400 Reduced to $250 if you use coupon OilHelp-100)
We are asking local Atlanta companies and government agencies about free classes they might offer.
The only other option we know of is to get the emergency on-site training in Florida (2 to 6 hours depending on level of training).
If anyone has any other information or corrections, please contact Steve Combs, email@example.com, 678-327-1465.