- Sea Island Acquisition must get approval from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers before it can begin work on the project. The application is presently inactive. (Last reviewed 2/22/2017)
- SELC: Court Rules in Favor of Sea Island Groin Construction (December 22, 2016)
- Sea Island beach project stalled with Army Corps October 2, 2016
- Surfrider Foundation Statement on the Georgia Office of Administration’s Decision on Sea Island Spit Permit August 26, 2016
- Closing argument is scheduled for July 13, 2016 in Atlanta for Surfrider Foundation’s appeal to stop the rock groin on Sea Island. More info. Please contact us if you can attend the hearing.
- Press Release: Surfrider Stresses Protection of Pristine Sea Island Spit At Administrative Hearing (May 9, 2016)
- Surfrider Foundation filed an administrative appeal challenging the Georgia Shore Protection Committee’s decision to permit a permanent 350-foot long rock groin (with a 120-foot T-shaped head) on Sea Island, in southeast Georgia. (January 11, 2016)
- Surfrider Foundation, on behalf of its Georgia Chapter, and the Altamaha Riverkeeper, filed an administrative appeal challenging the Georgia Shore Protection Committee’s decision to permit a permanent 350-foot long rock groin (with a 120-foot T-shaped head) on Sea Island, in southeast Georgia. The Committee’s permit would also allow applicant Sea Island Acquisition, LLC to engage in dredge and fill and other shoreline development along the pristine Sea Island Spit, including placement of a 200 square foot layer of rock on the landward end of the groin.
- Surfrider Foundation and Altamaha Riverkeeper allege that this new project would exacerbate erosion of this already highly erosive coastal barrier island, with devastating impacts.
- Petitioners are generously represented by attorney Steve Caley at GreenLaw. GreenLaw is a non-profit organization based in Atlanta, Georgia, which takes legal action in defense of our environment.
- Brunswick News: U.S. Army Corps has more questions for Sea Island protect (April 11, 2016)
- Florida Times-Union: Conservation groups appeal state permit for stone groin on Sea Island beach (Jan 12, 2016)
- Chapter News: Surfrider Files Appeal to Stop Rock Groin on Sea Island, Georgia (January 11, 2016)